Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Have you experienced a fire damage? We are here to help at (830) 584-1704. As your SERVPRO of Medina County we understand fire damage and the stress that immediately arrives when you find your home and belonging engulfed in smoke and fire damage. We have professionally trained individuals who have the experience and compassion to help you get your life back on track. We also have a reconstruction department available to begin immediately after the mitigation of your home has completed. So sit back, take note of these fire damage tips and allow the experts at SERVPRO of Medina County to make it "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (830) 584-1704
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.